💕As a Emotional Health Coach and doing Speech and Language Therapy with children, I know the benefits of how social emotional learning improves kid’s mental health, academics and behavior.
👉Stress, Anxiety and depression is on the rise, and it is growing. Not only with adults, but children and youth who are struggling and don’t understand the link between their emotions and learning. It is affecting students in brutel ways, socially, emotionally and academically.
👉1 in 3 kids will be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder by age 18. The only way to reverse this is prevention. Social emotional learning must be taught at school and at home.
💕This blog is to help you gain clarity on what it is and the skills you can coach your child to support their Social-emotional wellbeing at home.
Social And Emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. (CASEL, 2005). Principals Of Emotional Intelligence!
A landmark review (pdf) of over 213 social and emotional learning interventions including over 270,034 kindergarten through high school students found that those students who receive SEL instruction not only had more positive attitudes about school, they also improved an average of 11 percent on standardized achievement tests compared to students who did not receive such instruction. Fewer disruptive behaviors and improved attitudes and behaviors of reduced reports of depression, stress, and anxiety from students and counselors.
- 21% of teens in the United States reported being bullied on school property 10.4% of teens reported being hurt by someone they were dating 17% of students had seriously considered suicide (CDC, 2013 Youth Risk Factors)
- Adding to or exacerbating these problems is the issue of childhood stress, whether from conflict at home, peer pressure, grade pressure, or over-scheduling. Not only can this affect learning in the present, but sustained high levels of cortisol associated with stress can damage the hippocampus, an area of the brain responsible for learning and memory. These cognitive deficits can continue into adulthood (Childhood Stress and Development, CDC, 2008).
- The aim of most SEL programs is to promote self-awareness, self- management, social-awareness, relationships and responsible decision-making skills and to improve student’s relationships to their school community and broader world.
5 Skills Of Social-emotional learning:
Parenting is hard, we are not meant to do this parent thing alone. This is why I so passionate about teaching these skills and supporting parents on their parent journey. If your wanting support in raising emotionally intelligent children, click link below to learn more on my Parent Support Program.
I created a e-book for you on the 5 skills needed to build confidence in kids.
I would love to hear which skill is most challenging for you? Which skills are working best with your kids and how are you coaching the skill? Please share by replying to this post to keep conversation going and help other parents with support.
Remember, Together is better
- How To Take Control Of Your “What-iffing” Thoughts To Calm The Anxious Mind - February 22, 2021
- Stress, Grief & Relationships Is Impacting Kids/Teens Mental Health…Resources To Help - February 14, 2021
- How To Help Your Kids/Teens Improve Confidence & Mental Health - February 11, 2021