How are you? I really want to know how are you feeling right now?
Everyone in feeling traumatized and and in deep pain right now, you are in my thoughts. I have a feeling we are all sharing many of the same feelings.
I have written words, and deleted them over and over again. I am at a loss of words, I have cried over and over this week like so many others, because the world is heavy and the violence that never stops.
I am moving forward in a direction with many others (together) that is POSITIVE and united in CHANGE.
As we are all trying to engage with the current events and find ways to be helpful, we have to focus on fighting racism and inequity, while supporting people to wake up.
It calls us to take action together…
I want to tell you two important things first…
- I do not pretend to have all the answers, or be an expert, but I absolutely care. Whether you’re white, brown, or black, what happened to George Floyd and so many others continues to be a problem with no resolution….
- I am here to listen to voices from Black community and other people of color to learn more
I am choosing to learn from the lens of coaches, podcast, books and more. I am open to learn a better way.
- I’ve been reading
- I’ve been listening
- I’ve been watching
- I’ve been doing research how can I take action because Black Lives Matter
- I’ve had hard conversations with kids as young as 7, in my community, small groups, my dinner table, my family, my friends that are black, my friends that are officers, on what we can do to learn more, be more kind and help others.
- I’ve had hard conversations about how we have more great law enforcement officers than the “bad apples” how can we support them during this time?
- I’ve had hard conversations about how protest are suppose to be peaceful and RIGHT now it is not. What we can do to help stop the violence that is going on as a community?
Many of you joined my Thrive in EQ Community for help with:
- Supporting your child’s Social-emotional wellbeing
- Parenting Support
- Strengthening Emotional intelligence skills
- Stress management
- Connection and stronger relationships with a like minded community that will support you and your struggles with no judgement
So I feel it is important as a Educator, a Mom and a Business Leader, I need to speak up and share how I am learning and resources to help talk with children about racisim, brutality and protests as this may support and encourage others to do the same.
I’d like you to check out these resources I have found and listened to. Do your part. Stay alert, stay focused.
45 min. community conversations on emotions, racism and inequality: Click Here
Lorea Martinez: These unprecedented times call for the SEL field to consider how the social and emotional skills that we hold dear can serve as a vehicle to listen, question our own biases and learned beliefs, and transform this reality with a clear sense of purpose. You can use SEL to fight racism, remove barriers for learning, and develop your own social and emotional capacity. At this time, it is also necessary to use SEL principles and practices to dismantle systemic inequities and stand up for justice.
Why Social Justice and Equity Are Essential to Social and Emotional Learning by Drs. Tia Barnes and Shannon Wanless in Confident Parents, Confident Kids
Don’t Say Nothing by Jamilah Pitts in Teaching Tolerance
Go for Broke by LaShawn Chatmon in National Equity Project
What if…..White People Took Responsibility for Our Role in this Moment? By Kathleen Osta in Medium
Say Their Names by Chicago Public Schools
How White Parents Can Talk To Their Kids About Race (NPR Education LifeKit)
How Indigenous, Black, and POC Educators Envision a Better School Experience (KQED / Mindshift)
How to do more: Click Here
How to Talk to kids: Click Here
Anti-Racist Books for Kids and Parents: Click Here
Grow U online by Six Seconds, The EQ Network: Click Here
Thank you for letting me open up and share, I would love to have a open discussion where we can learn from each other,
We are in this together,
- Happy Fathers Day…Tips All Kids/Teens Need In A Father Figure - June 20, 2021
- 5 Mental Health Wellness tips to take action today to improve your mental and emotional wellbeing - June 1, 2021
- Tips to help our children cope with School Anxiety, racist acts, reduce stress & build resilience - March 19, 2021